Why Classical & why historic temperaments

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 10:44:45 -0500

>Well temperament will gain in popularity, not because of reasons of
>authenticity or history, but because it is a more valid musical concept
>than equal temperament.  Well temperament enhances 99% of all music ever
>written, and is actually a closer approximation to the intonation employed
>by unaccompanied vocalists and strings when they are left to their own
>devices.

I would like to add to this, while recognizing that Frank does include this
in his 99 percent,  that contemporary tonal music also benefits
tremendously from well temperaments.   Atonal music never did catch on
outside of academic circles.   In addition, I find Debussy and Ravel sound
more lush than ever in late 19th century temperaments, which are really
forms of well temperament.   Their tuners did not carry about Accutuners,
but used their ears and their hearts.

ab

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos