This temperament thing

Dennis Johnson johnsond@STOLAF.EDU
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 13:39:12 -0600 (CST)

Thanks Ed. That was well put.

Regarding the preferences that are sometimes voiced by musicians, it is
interesting that if you ask most players who have a preference for ET why
this is so, they will recount some unhappy experience of a particular
piano in which the tuning was labeled "historical", and consequently, they
are not much interested in going there again. I always want to ask why
these same players never blame ET for an unhappy experience when the
tuning was not labeled?  I suggest that in both cases the technician was
ultimately responsible, but usually the technician is only blamed in the
later case. That sure sounds like a double standard to me.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College