Dumb - Dumb - Dumb

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 22:37:12 -0800 (PST)

Dear Ed,

You're not alone in dumbness, I assure you.

If this ever happens again, see if the inhabitants of the house own a hair
dryer. Use it as hot and fast as it will go, aimed right down at the hammer
butts, and in 15 or 20 minutes you should have everything back to normal,
maybe even a little less sluggish than before you took it outside.

Susan

At 10:10 PM 1/19/98 -0800, you wrote:
>  I was so proud of myself.  I did a really good, and quick (for me) job on
>a Story and Clark spinet, you know, one of those with the rotten plastic
>parts.  I had replaced at least a dozen of those in the past couple of
>years.  Today I didn't break one... until F7.  Then C8 whippen flange
>cracked.
>  OK, no problem, I had the parts in the truck, took out the action, placed
>it on the convenient picnic table outside, and replaced the parts.  15
>minutes tops.  Cleaned up, and put it back in the piano.  Now 30 or 40
>hammers won't return to the rest rail.
>  It is a cold and damp day here, and the inside of the house is nice and
>toasty from the wood stove heater.  All I can figure is that the wood and
>felts were reacting to the cold and damp outside and swelled up.
>  I waited 1/2 hour for the action to re-acclimate, and it was getting
>better.  Will check again tomorrow to see if things have returned to normal.
>  If I had only done the work on the kitchen floor (standing practically on
>my head) I would have looked like a champ instead of a chump.  Dum Dum Dum.....
>Ed Carwithen
>Oregon

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"Cheer up! Things may be getting worse at a slower rate."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant