[Fwd: Re: This temperament thing]

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 08:49:31 +0000

Jim,
    AMAZING!, A group of tuners wouldn't recognize "something funny"
about these tunings, esp. the well temperament??!  I know musicians when
first exposed to historical temperaments often only have a sense that
something is different but can't put there finger on why. But tuners?
The ones I know are always aware of tuning when they hear music.  When I
get used to practicing in ET, a HT (especially meantone and more severe
well temperaments) can actually cause a slip-up.  When switching back to
ET I'm not as likely to be thrown by it, as all the sounds are kind of
average, but I have a terrible sense of loss if the music was
appropriate to the HT.  Even if people are not consciously aware that
something is different, the sounds are still there with all there added
colors and tensions.
      Historical temperaments are like nuances, when one is missed, only
a few listeners are consciously aware, and the performance can still be
good.  However each nuance is still important and contributes to the
whole, so there is loss. People sense this even if they can't tell you
why.  These subtle things differentiate between a great musician and an
average one, and people don't pay to hear the average ones.  I also
observe that tuners with great reputations tune only alittle clearer
than the average ones, again subtle-elusive things.  Historical
temperaments enable musicians to produce the sounds and emotions which
the composer originally worked with in building these masterful works of
art. Without historical temperaments, there is loss!

-Mike Jorgensen RPT

Jim Coleman, Sr. wrote:

> In the first class the voting was:  58 Kirnberger   65 Pure 5ths
> In the next class the voting was:   50 Kirnberger   48 Pure 5ths
>
> No one in either class seemed to recognize there was anything funny about
> either tuning. Some pieces showed a preference for one tuning style and
> other pieces showed a preference for the other style of tuning.

An embedded message was scrubbed...