Dumb - Dumb - Dumb

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 09:36:41 -0700 (MST)

Hi Edward:

Of course this has happened to all of us at some time. There are several
possible causes. The most common is that we failed to notice broken bridal
straps and the jacks got caught under the butt felts. I don't suspect
that was your case though because the hammers would have been jammed
against the strings. The next possibility is that perhaps the action was not
seated properly upon the ball bolts before you took out the action, and now
that you have properly installed the action, the capstan screw
adjustment is out in that section. Story and Clark has not made spinets for
a very long time, and when they did, they used the Wood & Brooks action
with the auxiliary rail for the stickers, tongues and flanges. You may have
taken the opportunity to tighten this rail down. That can cause an
effect like having higher capstans.

Jim Coleman, Sr.