1830 Pleyel upright

Majewski sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu
21 Jan 98 00:22:50 -0500

On Tue, Jan 20, 1998 9:38 PM, Stephen Birkett
<mailto:birketts@wright.aps.uoguelph.ca> wrote:
>>The piano is a circa 1830 Playel upright, made in France for
>>export to the US.
>>
>Just to put this in perspective, you may like to know Chopin had a piano
>of exactly this type that he used in his studio...the pupil played the
>Pleyel grand and Chopin played the upright to illustrate lessons and
>accompanied his students. A Pleyel cottage upright 1830s.
>
>So you have something with a very direct link to Chopin...fun eh!

Thank you for this bit of news!
In had discovered, in my research, that Chopin had a Pleyel, but I
had just assumed it was a grand.

BTW: The plate explicitly says that it was "made for export".
Would this have likely implied that it was of lesser quality ?

-Steve Majewski <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>