Unusual action

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@nau.edu
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 08:20:08 -0700

DGPEAKE wrote:

> Dear Friends and Collegues,
>
> Yesterday I serviced a Everett Console made in 1948.  I have seen a lot of
> strange actions, but this one was definately somewhat backwards.  Or should I
> say, parts arranged in a different fashion.
>
> The hammer tail did the checking, with the backchecks higher than usual to do
> the catching.  The jack was horizontal rather than vertical.  Capstans had a
> regulating screw.  It does not appear to be difficult to regulate (and it
> needs regulation).  The hardest adjustment was at the hammer spring.  Very
> difficult to get to, even with a hemostat.
>
> My first observation is that it may be a Woods and Brooks action.  Any clues
> out there in cyberspace?
>
> Dave Peake, RPT
> Portland, OR

Hi There...

I do believe that what you are describing is a "Woods & Brooks 90'
Action". (See Illustration P.47 Reblitz 2nd Edition).  I had an
experience with one of these about 8 or 10 months ago. WIERD!!  They do
seem to work rather well, but probably no better than a normal upright
action. I think the idea was to closer assimulate a grand action, but of
course with out a repitition the effort was hopless. Probably more of a
marketing thing than a reality.  At any rate the most problematic thing
I encountered was finding replacement parts.  The let-off button is
located on the jack rather than the rail, and I had one broken jack.  I
ended up having to carefully manufacture a new one from scratch on a
scroll saw.  A little crude, but it worked!

One interesting thing I noticed (at least on this particular piano), was
that it had VERY short keys with a massive amount of weights in them. It
still felt pretty good though.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Northern Arizona U. Staff Tech