California 1852

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 21:25:21 -0500

Ah, we're getting some good stuff here, aren't we?  Yes, Behrendt is
probably one of the first professional builders.   There were a number of
emigres from London and Germany who set up shop, generally first in New
York.

That instrument by Hawkins is a cute little thing, with handles, a portable
likely intended for ships.   The Smithsonian acquired one last year, and
they're very excited about it.   It has ingenious metal supports.   Thomas
Jefferson ordered one, but then had such problems with it (apparently all
Hawkins pianos of this type had problems) that he sent it back.  After that
he had an Astor and Company square made between 1799 and 1805 which is
still at Monticello, a rather pretty thing.

Will dig up more if people are interested.

ab

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos
2070 Bingham Ct.