temperments, A=442, stability

Phil Bondi tito@peganet.com
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 00:09:55 -0500

..i've got a gig tuning for the St. Louis Symphony
coming to town next week..they want the piano
tuned to 442..no big deal, right..?

..all this talk recently about temperments has my
interest..I saw a video once where Bill Garlick
played a Bach piece in Equal, Well, and Mean
Temperments..there was a big difference to this
ear in the temperments..

..do we run the risk of taking an instrument that
is use to being at a certain pitch, changing it,
and perhaps making it somewhat unstable for a
period of time..??..perhaps the next 2 tunings?..

..this is what I'm lead to believe..

..isn't it also true that the less we move pins
and settle string, the more stable the
instrument..??

..I personally like the idea of tuning in the
temperments..my concern is the instrument..or
should it be..?