Comparing Pianos with Cars

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 16:16:10 -0700

At 10:49 AM 1/23/98 -0800, Del wrote:

>About 25 years ago, Ken Serviss (of the Piano Hospital, Vancouver, WA)
pointed out to me that a good new piano had always
>cost about the same as a new Cadillac.

That's a good analogy... one people could get their hands on I would think.
Since the majority of new grands seem to be Asian, would that make it about
the same as an Infinity?

A REALLY good new piano still costs less than a new Rolls Royce though,
even if the Fazioli is in the Ferrari class.

A fair to average new grand costs about the same as a Dodge Neon and for a
great many people basic transportation is as good as a Caddy. Too bad they
don't consider cheap pianos to be as disposable as they do cheap new cars.

>Still does.

The important difference between the two being that my neighbour across the
street can't sell his very nice 30 year old Caddy for much above scrap
while his 30 year old Steinway B will bring several times what he paid for
it if he wanted to sell it. A lot of Cadillacs will have gone through his
garage before he does.

He can't drive up to a swanky restaurant, hand the valet the keys and ask
him to park his Steinway for him though, even if he does keep a brass S&S
key on his Cadillac key ring. B-})

Speaking of piano values, I hear the Alma Tadema Steinway just sold for
more than a million dollars. I imagine the sky's the limit now.

		John

John Musselwhite, RPT  - Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com - http://www.cadvision.com/musselj/