Restringing from #2 to #4

DGPEAKE DGPEAKE@aol.com
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 00:25:41 EST

<<
 I am assuming you are talking about reaming the holes.  Are you certain that
 is necessary?  If the old pins were horribly loose and the piano could not
 hold tune at all then going up two sizes is what is called for, no reaming
 should be necessary.  If the old pins had some torque and you are
 restringing because the old strings are rusted, or whatever, then going up
 ONE size to #3 should do it, no reaming necessary.

 I'm still new at this so take that for what it is worth :-o

 I think you would need to ream for #4 pins if you had a mix of the above two
 conditions I described.  As for the drill press or hand drill, I have heard
 of it both ways.  One thing to consider with a press, there is less "feel"
 and "feedback" than a hand drill would have and a hand drill could be less
 precise if you are not careful.  I think since the holes are already there
 as a perfect guide then I would opt for the hand drill.
 Read paragraph two again!

 Good luck,

 Glenn.

Before you consider reaming try this:  Clean out the tuning pin holes with a
gun cleaning brush inserted in a drill.  Pound in #2, 3, 4, check torque, and
see which size works best.  Use many samples. You may save a lot of work this
way.

Food for thought.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR