spinets

Billbrpt@aol.com Billbrpt@aol.com
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 10:10:48 EST

<<  Today, for the first time in my 6 year old career as a piano tuner, I
tuned
 > a Baldwin spinet.
 . >>
     Perhaps this is not enough time to learn that most piano technicians here
do tune and service spinets on a regular basis.  This is how we earn a living.
When the action screws are loose, we remove the action and tighten them.  When
the hammers are worn, we file them.  When there is dirt, we clean it.  When
the keys are unlevel, we level them.  When the capstan, let-off and other
regulating features need attention, they are granted the respect of having
those services provided rather than telling the customer that the piano is
"junk" and is not worth working on.
     A good, solid tuning that is pleasing and harmonious to the ear should
only take about an hour to accomplish, perhaps another 1/2 hour for a pitch
raise.  Unless there is some unusual structural failure, this will be as
stable and as useful to the customer as a tuning on any other kind of piano.
   Why not develop the skills nececessary to earn very good money working on
ordinary instruments and make the customer who owns it feel content and proud
of the piano that they have and can afford rather than talking about how bad
they are?
There are only so many expensive pianos that will only need your very valuable
tuning skills and nothing else.  When these are serviced and the customer is
content with what you have accomplished, the spinets will be waiting for you.
Your bank account won't reflect from which kind of piano you earned the money.
    Bill Bremmer RPT