Temperaments

A440A A440A@aol.com
Sun, 25 Jan 1998 06:36:42 EST

Greetings all,

       I am having new customers call for tunings, specifiying that they want
one like "Mr. X" or whoever's piano they have tried in a WT.  It is not my
suggesti0n that brought them to me,  it was the sound of the tuning.  There is
something musically attractive about the other tunings, and for a person to
ascribe supremecy to the ET status quo, simply because it is, is rather a
limited viewpoint.
    Interesting to see these voices speaking out in opposition to anything but
ET.   I have  questions.........
  1)   How many of the defenders of ET ,(that are posting here),  have a
working familiarity with other tunings, and customers that like them?
   2) How much of the opposition is based on experience and how much is based
on fear of the unknown?
 3)   Do some of our ET supporters think the WTC should be played in ET if a
piano is used?
Regards,
Ed Foote