ole historical ET ;-)

JIMRPT JIMRPT@aol.com
Sun, 25 Jan 1998 18:52:50 EST

Ed Foote... him said:
 <<"Someday ET will also be a historical temperament.">>

   I found the folowing @ Stephen Bicknell,  oneskull@dircon.co.uk , and
 thoroughly enjoyed my visit there.  I have no idea of Mr. Bicknell's
 credentials but he does have some interesting things to say throughout his
 pages.

 " "Equal" Temperament has been known since 350 BC, but did not become
 widespread until the late 18th century (50-100 years later in the English
 speaking world). The advantages are  obvious — all keys are usable without
 fear or favour, and full  enharmonic modulation is possible. The disadvantages
 are also clear: not one interval is dead in tune (indeed in any major scale
 the thirds and
 leading notes are extremely sharp)"

 Gee Ed  I would assume that anything having been around for 2,361 years or
 2.361 millenia could be considered historic but...........I guess not huh?
 :-)

 <<"Those that investigate variety will lose nothing by doing so, but stand the
 chance of breaking new ground.">>
   Absolutely and those who don't at least investigate to a certain extent
 will be the poorer for not having done so.

 <<"Familiarity with a variety of tuning styles lends perspective that is not
 available to those limited to only one style, regardless of what it is.">>
   Ed I agree. Temperament variety and choices are as much a part of a tuners
 kit as are differing voicing techniques and we all know that no one voicing
 technique is suitable for all customers (sorry about that Ed I just
 constitutionally could not agree totally with you two subjects in a row :-)
 Looking forward to the CD.
 Jim Bryant (FL)