damper flange cords

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 21:40:50 -0600

Howard,
I've replaced dozens of these and now automatically look in to check the
cords.  When you have repetition problems and slow hammer return, you know
what it is.  Yamaha told me it only happens in my part of the world.  I do
agree that it is what the cord is made of and not the corrosion of the
spring.  The cord turns to POWDER! On a warranty replacement I was told
that I should have been able to do the job in less than half the time I
estimated and there is no consideration of the need to file the hammers for
correct hammer/string alignment.  I should also say that I have not seen
this on pianos built after about 1980 (?) and I suspect that they found out
what the problem was.  A jig can be made to cut and glue new cord on the
existing flanges, but I usually just replace.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net