Temperaments

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@uoguelph.ca
Sun, 25 Jan 1998 21:27:20 -0500 (EST)

Les wrote:
> ... short-lived and therefor more theoretical than actual. One has
> to take into account the tuning stability of the instruments on which
> those early temperaments were used. For well over a century, the search
> was for a piano that would stand in tune for more than six minutes, forget
> six  months!

Beg to differ here Les. Not all historical pianos are unstable. It is not
a good idea to judge this quality by observation of modern copies in
modern conditions. Many modern "copies" are not copies at all, rather
interpretations, and lose much in the translation. The original 1814
Streicher I am copying is very stable...keeps an acceptable tuning year in
year out (granted in museum conditions). I know one accurate copy that is
used almost daily and is still acceptable after tuning a year ago...in
household conditions. Modern builders, in their zeal to improve on the
"mistakes" made by the old guys, often "correct" the very design feature
that leads to high stability...often observed in harpsichord building
especially. The cases of these instruments (and frameless pianos) have to
be structurally balanced to achieve stability...and often appear to have
"errors" by our modern "enlightened" thinking.

Stephen

Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
464 Winchester Drive
Waterloo, Ontario
Canada N2T 1K5
tel: 519-885-2228