Temperaments

Mon, 26 Jan 1998 10:24:10 -0600

Bill,
At 09:31 1/26/98 EST, you wrote:

>There are no statutes on the book here in Madison that state what a "normal"
>piano tuning is.  I doubt if there are anywhere else either.

-I agree, but are you aware of the concept of "common law"?

> If you tune into...
        show is called "What d'ya know?".

-Not much, You??

>I could say for example, "I'll give you a choice in how you'd like your piano
>tuned:
>
>Option A:   A nice, well-tempered tuning. ... <snip>

>Option B:  A method forced upon the general population... blah, blah, blah

-What a good, balanced, public opinion polster you'd be...

-If the artist doesn't specify pitch do you tune 44cents flat? After all,
440Hz was agreed upon in the early 20th cent. also.  According to sources
quoted on another thread, that pitch is better for us.

>  Although I am known as an HT
>practitioner, I am better known as a technician who makes pianos sound and
>play very well.

-No argument here, I've heard your work both on air and at Conventions. (you
have helped my old teacher and friend Owen set up tuning recitals, haven't you?)

> What the customers recognize is how good the music sounds, ...

>Otherwise, given the very hostile climate that the ET="normal" crowd

-Given that ET is on the pianos and expected by 99 44/100% of their owners,
I think that would qualify as "normal"

>"Don't ask, don't tell, just do it."

-"I'd rather be right than hesitant."

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer		Office - (319) 387-1204
Acoustic Keyboard Technician - Luther College
700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu -or- pno2ner@salamander.com

If I had multiple personality disorder, my resume would make more sense.