Temperaments (In defense of Bill)

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 13:00:36 -0600

Dear Friends,

Recently I have been corresponding with Bill Bremer, and I find that he has
some very interesting ideas.  He may do business different than others
would do, and that is another topic which I am not addressing.

Bill Bremer told me about several different temperaments which he has been
using, and one of them is a 1/7 comma meantone.  I had always thought that
a meantone temperament would have some keys that would sound so awful that
you couldn't play in those keys.  But under Bill's instruction, I tuned my
personal piano in the 1/7 comma meantone temperament that he told me about,
and I LOVE the way it sounds on my piano.  Yes, I can play in every single
key on my piano, and Yes, every key does sound different.  The plain keys
sound very peaceful and relaxing, and the keys that have more sharps and
flats become increasingly more "turbulent", and with more "tension" and
"color" in the sounds of those keys.  I don't really have the words to
describe the sounds I hear, but I Love it.

Just recently have I heard that there really is a different sound to each
key, besides the obvious difference of the pitch.  Now that I have listened
to the way my piano sounds in the 1/7 comma meantone, I will be more
willing to try other temperaments and to entusiastically tell my customers
about what they can hear in their piano also if they would like to try it.
Granted, tuning in other than Equal Temperament is not for everyone,
because it can stir up some emotions in the listeners, and some people are
not ready to experience these emotions in music.

Also, I have only been playing classical music for the most part.  Perhaps
other types of music wouldn't sound good with certain temperaments.  But
you don't know what you are missing until you hear or play some of
Beethoven's sonatas like the "Pathetique" and the "Moonlight" in the 1/7
comma meantone temperament.  (Thanks Bill!)

I think that I can speak for Bill when I say that he is not Middle of the
Road.  He has strong opinions, which may not be what you or I are familiar
with or comfortable with.  As long as he is not telling you that you have
to do something a certain way, he is not doing anything illegal or
unethical on this list.  At least give his ideas and philosophy of tuning a
chance, so you can think about it and then either accept it or reject it
after you have had a chance to make up your mind.

What I like most about this list is the numerous opinions on every possible
topic related to pianos.  We all love pianos, and that is why we are here.
We can try to get along with each other and let other people express their
opinions.  If someone has a different opinion, that just may open your
understanding to a new technique, a new way of doing something, or a new
philosophy.  If you can learn from a new idea, great!  If you don't like
something, you can always take it with a grain of salt and ignore it.

Even if you don't like the way Bill Bremer conducts his business, don't
close your eyes to his ideas about different temperaments.  Different
opinions are what this list is all about.

Finally, Bill, would you post instructions to the list about the way you
tune in 1/7 comma meantone?  I did it once, but can't remember everything I
did, so I can't do it again!

Peace,
David

David A. Vanderhoofven, RPT