Temperaments (In defense of Bill)

Mon, 26 Jan 1998 14:39:08 -0600

Dave and list,

>Bill Bremer told me about several different temperaments which he has been
>using, and one of them is a 1/7 comma meantone.

If you have, or have access to, Owen Jorgensen's 1977 book, there is a 1/7
meantone in it.  My BIG Jorgensen book is home so I can't check it right
now. I'm sure it also has one, and probably an easier to follow recipe.

I don't want to sound like I'm against HT. Far from it.

HTs are fine on instruments played alone or with voice or instruments which
are easy to conform to the fixed pitch of the piano/fortepiano/harpsichord.
[strings]

The problems appear when an unequal temperament klavier is played against
(not with) another relatively fixed pitch instrument which has been built
with frets/holes/crooks designed for ET.

Enharmonics _ain't_ , and they _do_ fight.

Whenever I have a guest artist here using fp/hc, I always try to find out
their preferences in pitch, temperament and possible ensembles, also trying
to find out the program to be sure that any temperament used will work.

Saves a lot of tooth filling rattles.

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer		Office - (319) 387-1204
Acoustic Keyboard Technician - Luther College
700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu -or- pno2ner@salamander.com

If I had multiple personality disorder, my resume would make more sense.