Temperaments

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 15:07:47 -0600 (CST)

Odd!

1) With all this temperament talk I just realized that in 20 years ( to the
best of my memory), *no one*, not school, church, college, university, or
private customer has ever asked me to tune a piano in a specific
temperament.  They only expect me to tune the piano when I arrive,
sometimes to an organ and/or to a specific pitch.

and

2) The current condition that the majority of pianos are in when I arrive,
almost any temperament would sound better.   :-))

and

3) Aside from everything else, doesn't the following, unless otherwise
requested, constitute professional piano service regardless of temperament
used?

 Quoting in part from one of Bill Bremmer's, RPT post dated 1/26/98:
"...I am better known as a technician who makes pianos sound and
play very well.  What the customers recognize is how good the music sounds,
how well and long the piano stays in tune and how well it responds because of
my attention to other aspects of preparation other than tuning..."

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731