Old Chickering

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 08:01:06 -0500

>I bought and rebuilt a Chickering comparable to the one you just described. I
>would consider mine an "art case", in that it has double fancy leags on each
>corner. The wood is mahogany, and the finish came out breautiful. It has four
>pin block section, all screwed in from underneath.  I replaced the hammers,
>shanks and flanges, (wood flanges). All ivory keys tops are in perfect
>condition, although they are yellowish.
>
>I bought the piano fro $1500, and spent about $5000, including the finish,
>restoring it. I am trying to sell it for $15,000, but no takers yet.
>
>Willem Blees RPT
>St. Louis

What year, Willem?   There is a Chickering web page which is taking
registrations of these old instruments.  I can't recall the page now, but a
search on Chickering will pull it up.   Mine is also "art case".   Did you
refinish it yourself?  What was the finish?    When you replaced the hammer
shanks were you able to match the weight and thickness?

Obviously insatiably curious about older pianos,
ab

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos
2070 Bingham Ct.