Option B

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 08:34:05 EST

<< The Sensations of Tone  a book by Hermann Helnholtz  was a blaring
 ommission.

 Richard Moody >>
Thanks Richard,  he was one of the "evil scientists I had in mind, in fact the
principal one.  I just couldn't find a way to work his name in and wasn't sure
of the date of his publication.
    Although Helmholtz' work was very important, my impression of him today is
that he is viewed in historical perspective somewhat like Darwin and Freud
are, and his book is sold that way today, more like classic literature than
real science.  The best and most useful thing he left us with was his system
for identifying which note of the piano we are talking about.
    It seemed to me that Helmholz couldn't deal with seeing so many different
ways to divide the number 2, all so seemingly "irrational" and all.  Why not
just do it equally? Then there would be no injustice, all would be treated
fairly, none would be slighted.  Karl Marx had "good" ideas like that too.
They even prevailed in certain places for a painfully long time.  Last week,
the Pope went to see about one of the last places...
Bill Bremmer RPT