Using becket breaker?

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 13:18:57 -0600

Jim Bryant nailed just about everything as I do it.  I don't lower the
tension though.  I usually break the middle unison from tenor to treble,
then go in a pattern to finish off the rest.  (Piano is often 100 or more
cents flat) I also use it for the bass strings.  Sometimes the becket won't
break and you drive the pin deeper.  It can be a frustration then, but
using the becket breaker minimizes the scratching of the plate and keeps it
nicer.  Gauging the strings BEFORE breaking the coil is easier, I agree,
Jim.  Tilting the tool toward the beckett is a must.  I use a 2lb hammer.
(same I use to string with)  Don't forget to protect those precious ears!
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net