Soundboard Cleaning

JElving JElving@aol.com
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 00:21:19 EST

In a message dated 1/26/98 12:28:04 PM EST, Pianotoone@aol.com writes:

<<  Wondering about tips for cleaning soundboards on grands.

 Do you remove the lid?
 What cleaning solutions, if any, do you use?
 What tools? (rags, spring steel, dusters)

I third (fourth, fifth, whatever) Spurlock's tools. I do use cotton cloths
(they're easier to clean than the tools. Use the tools to push the cloth.
Occasionally, I have treated the cloth, in advance with Endust. That seems to
keep the dust from flying. (Oh, and the cloth is not large enough to ''bunch''
up and corrupt the strings.)

Instead of using a spring steel, I use a 24-30 inch long, 3/4 inch wide,
1/16th inch thick piece of flexible plastic (such as 1/2 piece of plastic
corner molding) to get in places where the Spurlock tools can't quite get. The
plastic is much less likely to inadvertently scratch the finish on the board.

Of course I use a natural bristle 3'' paint brush. The natural bristles hold
on to the dust instead of throwing it all over the place. Spend the money for
a good quality brush instead of the ''cheapies''.

I also use an old bed sheet under the piano to protect the carpet. Bring an
extra to hang on the stretcher board and drape down over the keybed when you
are cleaning. This keeps the dust confined to the keybed better. Along with
this I use a vacuum cleaner that both inhales and exhales (blows and sucks). I
bought an extra hose and connect them both to the vacuum. Then while I'm
blowing with one, I'm sucking up the dust with the other. Slick little trick
someone taught me.

Hope this helps.

John Elving, RPT
San Leandro, CA