STEINWAY SQUARES

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 08:20:10 -0500

>Hello List,
>     I need to know the current consensus on Steinway square pianos.
>I've received several calls from excited persons regarding one for $950.
>described as looking quite nice, out of tune, missing some "pads."  I'm
>not sure if pads refer to dampers or hammers.  My answer has been: "I
>don't work on squares as they are problematic and this is probably not a
>good choice for anyone looking for a playable-serviceable piano.  Its'
>value would as an antique or collectors item, but you may should check
>with some other techs to see if they service them."  Considering this is
>a Steinway, is this a fair synopsis?  What percentage of techs do
>service squares?  What is the value of this piano?
>Thank-you in advance.
>Mike Jorgensen RPT

It depends!     Steinway squares were of the very best.   A square is a
very different animal though, so it would depend upon their playing needs.
If they have children who want to learn to play the piano,  I'd say no.
If they want to play for themselves,  fine!   I would say very few
technicians service them.   The value will depend upon the condition.

So,  you charge people to take a look and give them an evaluation of
repairs, quality, etc,  just like a mechanic.

ab

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos
2070 Bingham Ct.