Option B

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 18:15:17 -0700 (MST)

Hi Bill:

I heard your tunings during the three years in which Baldwin allowed you to
tune their piano for the Convention recitals.

Virgil Smith and I sat together near the back. My spontaneous remark to
him was that: "That is the finest Baldwin I have ever heard."

The octaves sounded just right. The Unisons were impeccable. Modified
meantone tuning or 1/7th comma tuning (whichever it was) did not show any
wolves which were noticeable to my ears. I was impressed. Paul Bailey has
been encouraging me along the lines of Well Temperament for about 4 or 5
years now. I have tried his Holy Grail and the Kellner only on my own piano.
Perhaps I would like them better if I were hearing those tuning played by
someone else. I have had your tuning on my piano a few times. To my novice
ears (lack of fine appreciation of the equal beating, leading tones etc.),
the stronger tunings come off like slightly out of tune unisons whenever a
faster beating 5th is encountered. This may be what turned Gina off when
listening to that program.

I am not just a beginner at Historical tunings. While in College in '48 and
'49, I tuned my voice teacher's piano in a meantone tuning after reading
James Murray Barber's book on temperaments. I demonstrated the beauty of the
Meantone while playing the Mozart C Maj Sonata. I then showed the
problems in the harmonies while playing the Chopin Nocturne in F# Maj.
It was obvious to me at least that that was not the tuning Chopin was using
when he composed that piece. I suspect that with the proper well temperament
the Nocturne would sound quit nice.

It is my considered opinion that without prior education, the general piano
playing public (even piano technicians who play) is not concerned as much
with the type of temperament the tuner uses as they are with the clarity of
the unisons. Again I say that the Tuneoffs with which I have been
involved prove this.

I am also persuaded that a mild temperament does no disservice to the piano
owner, and can be used successfully along with an Equal temperament
Organ in Church situations. My own church piano is tuned thusly in either
a Moore Victorianized Well or a Coleman V or Coleman VII Well. This has gone
on for over 2 years without an adverse comment from anyone.

Jim Coleman, Sr.