1/2 cent difference on unison

Billbrpt@aol.com Billbrpt@aol.com
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 14:10:53 EST

<< This is very interesting!

 >  It has been well demonstrated that a
 >properly tuned unison will read about 1/2 cent flat of a single string.
This
 >presents a problem both in aural and electronic tuning.

 Who has demonstrated this and how? There has been some discussion of this
 before on the list. But only Jim Coleman has *posted* his results. I had
 hoped that another technician would try to duplicate his results!
 Regards,
 "Tuner for the Centre of the Arts" >>

I have seen it at Regional Seminars.  Virgil Smith talks about it a lot.

You can do this yourself if you tune a good solid unison as purely as you can,
then set the SAT to it and stop the lights ("0" it out if you like).  Now put
in a mute and read the single string.  The lights will inevitably roll sharp,
usually about 1/2 ¢.  There may be some out there who claim it is even more
but that is my estimation.  I'm also not sure if it is a constant amount or
one that varies.  It would be an interesting but time-consuming and difficult
study to do.

It is one of the effects of the "coupled motion of strings".  I think of it as
something like the "Doppler effect".  It is a very real phenomenon.  It is
important to be aware of and to compensate for in truly fine tuning.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin