spinets

JElving@aol.com JElving@aol.com
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 14:45:49 EST

In a message dated 1/28/98 1:44:53 AM EST, DGPEAKE@aol.com writes:

<< BTW, I learned to play the piano on a Betsy Ross Spinet.  I did very well,
 went to college, piano as a performing instrument, and a degree in Music.  I
 now have a Baldwin Grand.

I think this is probably the case for most of us. I would venture to say that
the largest majority of us learned to play on the ''typical'' nondescript
spinet/upright (player piano if we were fortunate) that was probably tuned
once if it really needed it. That's why we're in the business now -- to save
the world from the evil spinet! Had I waited until I had a good quality grand
to learn on, or even a good vertical, I would never have learned.

Sales people will RARELY educate the customer about what type of piano they
should buy for a ''starter,'' but will get them into whatever they can afford
to make the sale. (Even if it is the $99 special at the old parking lot sale.)
It is our job to educate the customer after that. That is, after we have their
confidence, and have made that Betsy Ross spinet the best that it could
possibly be.

John Elving, RPT
San Leandro, CA
JElving@aol.com