1/2 cent difference on unison

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 14:14:36 -0600

Hi Bill,

The problem is that piano strings are coupled so a *good* solid unison I.e.
that is *beat free* at all *audible* partials is more or less impossible to
tune aurally. Yes, you could used a tenth (or a 17th) and *match* the
beating. But if you do the unison will simply not sound *clean*. I believe
this is where the 1/2 cent is that you are chasing with the ETD.

I was hoping that you would have *proof* i.e. specific measurements made
under super conditions to offer me.

At 02:10 PM 1/29/98 EST, you wrote:

><< This is very interesting!
>
> >  It has been well demonstrated that a
> >properly tuned unison will read about 1/2 cent flat of a single string.
>This
> >presents a problem both in aural and electronic tuning.
>
> Who has demonstrated this and how? There has been some discussion of this
> before on the list. But only Jim Coleman has *posted* his results. I had
> hoped that another technician would try to duplicate his results!

> There may be some out there who claim it is even more
>but that is my estimation.  I'm also not sure if it is a constant amount or
>one that varies.  It would be an interesting but time-consuming and difficult
>study to do.
>
>It is one of the effects of the "coupled motion of strings".  I think of it as
>something like the "Doppler effect".  It is a very real phenomenon.  It is
>important to be aware of and to compensate for in truly fine tuning.
>
>Bill Bremmer RPT
>Madison, Wisconsin

Regards,
"Tuner for the Centre of the Arts"