Temperaments

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 02:20:18 -0600

> Date: Friday, January 30, 1998 6:28 PM

Bremmer

Moody
>>What we don't know is who preferred what, or who
>>  wrote what pieces for which temperament.  Maybe  Bach meant by
"Well
>>  Tempered" ... "not hap-hazard".  >>

Bremmer
>     So then if we don't know what they did,  we do something we
>know they didn't do?

Moody
Yes, we have to.  What else can we do if we don't know what they did?
  Every time we play Bach on a piano for example.  We know he didn't
play a piano.

Bremmer
> Why must ET be the answer to all that is unknown?

Moody
This question is false in the sense that it is asking about an untrue
condition, and by  logic, in questions about the unknown, the answer
cannot be proven true.

	ET solved a problem that had been vexing keyboard makers for
centuries. It was a problem that took an evolution of technique and
modern science to finally solve. The greeks defined it, but until
physics was able to see pitch as frequencies, what we call Equal
Temperament could not be developed.  And when the makers and
performers liked it, exclusively as it turned out.  Then came
electric organs, then synthesizers and now electronic keyboards all
tuned in ET.  It is not my desire or consternation that ET  has
become universal.  That's just what is.  That doesn't mean
experiments can't be done.  Today with electronic tuners,  old
tunings whose aural traditions may have been lost, can now be
attempted, and alternatives to ET be quickly designed and explored.

Richard Moody