warped key

atonal@planet.eon.net atonal@planet.eon.net
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 22:27:41 +0000

> Hi Wim:
>
> In emergencies in home locations I have a few time with good results taken
> the key out and wet it on all sides and with contrary pressure or twisting
> have been able to straighten or unwarp the keys by passing the dampened
> portion over a burner of the kitchen stove. Pass it back and forth for
> as long as your hands can stand it without burning them. The dampening helps
> the cells move and keeps the wood from turning dark.
>
> Jim Coleman, Sr.
>
> PS A better solution would be to use a heat gun instead of the flame or
> heating element of the stove.

Today I just aligned a bunch of top end keys in an 1899 Emerson
vertical by wetting the side of the key that I want to bend and
holding it against an iron clamped upside-down in my bench vise.
Moderate hand pressure was all I needed to warp the keys so that they
weren't touching their neighbors, and so the capstans aligned under
the wip cushions. Similar in idea to aligning hammers using heat, you
hold it in place until it has warped in the direction you want, and
let cool.  Total time for 12 keys was under 5 minutes, once the iron
was hot. Keeping the key wet is important for the reasons Jim pointed
out above, and the iron drives out most of the moisture, so you don't
have sopping wet keys or loose bushings to contend with. This method
works better with newer pianos (higher  moisture content in the
wood), but wetting down old keys before using the heat does the trick
as well.

Regards,

Rob Kiddell,
Registered Piano Technician, PTG