historical vs. equal temperament

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Wed, 01 Jul 1998 09:15:08 -0600

At 02:22 AM 7/1/98 EDT, Bill wrote:

>virtually no one.  Only in the 20th Century has the idea of Equality in
>temperament had any appeal at all. Yet, it has been force-fed to virtually
>everyone by  tuners, scientists and engineers, not by musicians.

You forgot composers, Bill. Have you ever heard "All The Things You Are" in
an HT?  ET freed modern popular composers to write what they want without
worrying about wolves (except perhaps at the door).

If I write a song in C and modulate to C# what will happen to my chord
voicing with an HT?  Why would I even bother with an HT?

			John

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com