McPhail grand

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 22:59:57 EDT

<< A customer is trying to determine the value of his McPhail grand piano for
 home insurance purposes.  The piano is about seventy-five years old and is
 in reasonably good condition for its age.  I don't know the size, but it is
 short, surely somewhere around 5 feet.  It has never been rebuilt--all is
 original.

 What would any of you suggest as to its value?  Any suggestions will be
 helpful so that we can come up with a general ballpark figure.

 Thanks in advance.

 Arlie >>

The piano you describe would be worth about $1000 in its current condition, in
someone's home.

Ask the customer if she has replacement value insurance, or "as is" insurance.
If she has "as is" insurance, should the piano be damaged, then all she would
get from the insurance company is $1000, or the cost of the repairs, whichever
is less. With the cost of labor and parts these days, $1000 is not going to go
very far. The customer will not only loose the piano, but will not be able to
buy another decent piano with that money.

Replacement value insurance, however, will allow the customer to either buy a
brand new piano of similar quality, or enough money to make the repairs on the
piano.

It might be worth it for your cusotmer to look into replacment value
insurance.

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis