breaking strings

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 08:07:00 EDT

Rob, et al,

I hear this often, but has anyone actually had an experience where this has
occurred?  An assistant of mine ran a quick experiment a few years ago of
dousing a piece of pinblock material on a monochord with silicone/naphtha
solution and seeing the results over a period of time. He didn't take torque
measurements so I'm not exactly sure what the change was.  However, evening
with being doused in that manner, the pin went from a little too tight (like
some pianos we already tune) to smoother in turning but still well within
exceptable limits.  Now I'm not advocating putting lubricant on the pinblock
and in fact I personally haven't found the need to apply any lubricant to the
strins or bearing points.

On the subject of silicone being applied to action centers: In a liberal
application you might use at most four ounces (VERY liberal aplication). At an
8 parts naphtha to 1 part silicone mixture, this puts 1/2 ounce of silicone on
the entire action.  Since this is applied to the actions centers rather than
the hammers, and most of the centers are on the wippen, I can't imagine very
much creeping down the shank, up through the hammer, leaching over to the
string during the momentary contact, traveling all the way up the string,
throught the bearing points, around the tuning pin, down past the plate
bushing and into the pinblock.  Whew, quite a journey!  Actually I'm much more
concerned by the silicone contained in the Pledge sprayed around the piano, us
and the owners getting hand oils on the pins and people sneezing nasty stuff
over the instrument.

Hopefully I can take the time to conduct some rigorously controlled
experiments on this in the future and be able to give a better answer and
commentary.

Now, as to the issue of whether or not action centers should ever be
lubricated, that's another topic for another day.

Have a great Independence day!

Allan

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.
Calhoun, GA USA
Gilreath@aol.com

<< Dick,

 Most of us try to stay away from silicone in any form,  because it seems to
 "creep" back up to the tuning pins and thence to the pinblock, where it can
 do a good job of  lubricating the pins in the block.

 Rob Stuart-Vail