Breaking Strings

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Fri, 03 Jul 1998 17:21:41 -0300

Hi List,
I haven't heard anyone mention the importance of having the piano up to
pitch, if a child is taking lessons or if it is being played with other
instruments.
If I run into a problem with broken strings, I always determine what the
piano is being used for. In the above two cases I feel it must be
brought up to pitch if at all possible. If it is just being played with
itself and no one is taking lessons then pitch is not as important. I do
however point out the piano will sound better at the pitch it was
designed for, and eventually it should be brought up.
The piano may have just been purchased, and the neglect may not be the
fault of the new owner. Mind you she/he should have contacted a
tuner/technician before the purchase, so that it could have been an
informed purchase.
Regards,
John M. Ross
PTG Assoc.