Silicone in Pinblocks

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Sat, 4 Jul 1998 00:32:19 EDT

Ron,

Good thoughts there.  I haven't used any lubricant on bearing points in many
years and that was only once on an old grand.  Didn't seem to do much good at
the time, but it hasn't broken any strings since. Maybe we can put our heads
together on the list and find a way to scientifically determine some answers
rather than guessing. As I mentioned, Protek seems like good stuff and I've
used a fair amount of it.  However, I still don't know what all's in there or
what effect it will have in particular situations.  I've known of several very
well respected techs who assert that NO wet lubricants whatsoever should be
used on actions while others swear by them.  Some who lubricate swear by
Protek while others will only use silicone and then there are those who spray
the action w/ WD-40!  I just get curious when we talk about how safe one
product is w/o knowing what's in it and decry another when no one can seem to
actually cite a cse proving our fears.  Personally, I would love to see some
experimentation, by someone who's a better chemist than I am (and that
wouldn't take much!) to determine just how much any of this stuff spreads and
what efect it has.  As Albert Einstein said, (and this applies to our PTG
organizational problems as well) "The significant problems we face cannot be
solved on the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Let's look for answers together,

Allan

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.
Calhoun, GA USA
Gilreath@aol.com

<< Allan,

 The problem isn't so much the overall torque of the pin in the block (static
 friction), it's the sliding friction that will be affected most. It's also
 dependent on the density of the block, and the type of tuning pin.
 Contaminated with silicone, a denser block will more likely make for snappy
 turning pins than a less dense block. A rolled thread pin will be more
 snappy than a cut thread pin. It's possible to have a block/pin combination
 that won't show any dramatically adverse effects from silicone
 contamination, but it can't be categorically anticipated as to just how any
 particular piano will react. The point is, rather than playing Russian
 Roulette with silicone around a pin block and assuming no damage, get some
 Protec and use it for both action centers and string bearing points (if you
 must). The only place I've found string lubrication useful/necessary is in
 the yards of understring cloth you have to drag a string over tuning some
 pianos. I haven't generally found it necessary, or particularly helpful if I
 tried it, to lubricate brass, iron, or steel string bearing points. Break
 'em back before you pull 'em up and they will come.

 Ron