Working on July 3rd?

Wallace Scherer WallyTS@compuserve.com
Sat, 4 Jul 1998 06:58:37 -0400

From: Wally Scherer, A-1 Piano Service, Norfolk, Virginia, USA, e-mail
<WallyTS@iName.com>
To: James Grebe and others on the Pianotech List,

James, I would have loved to have been working on the 3rd of July. About a
year and a half ago, someone on this list encouraged me by saying that
within two or three years my piano business will probably be so busy I'll
have a hard time keeping up with it. I must say that I was very encouraged
the first three weeks of June, the two year anniversary of my business.
Unfortunately, the following week business dropped off to zero, and this
past week I just had three jobs. Patience and persistence is the name of
the game, I guess. After those three weeks of steady work, however, I
really appreciated the series of articles currently appearing in the
Journal about massage therapy.

In a series of posts recently about whether one earns more money tuning or
repairing, an excellent series by the way and which I expect to see
reprinted in the Journal, Carl Root mentioned that the goal is to get our
business up to "full time" as soon as possible. I agree, Carl. Whenever I
have slack days, which is often, I find myself becoming discouraged and
wondering if I will EVER be able to provide for my family like a good
husband and father should. Nevertheless, in this "land of opportunity", I
know that the business is out there, I just have to find it.

Having lived outside the country for a good share of the previous 19 years,
I can still say that I am glad to be an American. (No offense Elian Degan
in Caracas.) Yes, there are a lot of things about our decaying society that
embarass me, but opportunities still exist to improve financially,
mentally, spiritually, emotionally, and physically.

To all my fellow Americans, I wish you a Happy Independence Day!

Wally