fires

Brian L. Daley tunerselbow@earthlink.net
Sat, 4 Jul 1998 14:46:37 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Billbrpt@aol.com <Billbrpt@aol.com>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Saturday, July 04, 1998 1:46 PM
Subject: Re: fires

>In a message dated 7/4/98 12:06:01 PM Central Daylight Time,
>pianoman@inlink.com writes:
>
><< Hi All,
> You know what I don't understand is why the FL governor hasn't called out
> the National Guard and why AlGore, instead of blaming this on El Ninio and
> global warming , didn't call in the regular troops to help defend our land
> from fire.  We seem to want to protect and defend stuff in other
countries.
>  I am sure the firefighters there could use some help and relief.
> James Grebe >>
>
>I agree, James.  You would think that a massive mobilization would already
be
>in operation to have planes and helicopters with water tanks that could
scoop
>water out of the ocean to douse these fires.  Additionally, National Guard
>troops and even the US army and Marines to help people evacuate and set
back
>fires to stop the advances.
>
>If anything is going to put a strain on the healthy economy that is going
on
>now, it will be that half the state of Florida has been burned to a crisp
and
>these people have no homes or jobs.  One thing I could tell those people
>though, if they come to Wisconsin, they'll find a home and a job, real
quick.
>They'll just have to bear the cold winters like the rest of us though.
>
>Happy 4th
>Bill Bremmer RPT
>Madison, WIsconsin

    Yes this is a terrible tradgedy.  Here's some stuff from today's Palm
Beach Post.  1500 National Guard were ordered in to help fight fires and
guard against looting.  85 fire engines were flown in from California, over
400 bulldozers are up there (20 from Texas).  2/3 of the country's Skyhook
helicopters are bringing water in, and they are using a few "SuperScoopers"
(amphibious 1400gallon water bomber from North Carolina) that skim lakes and
rivers for water.  There's also consideration for using exploding ping pong
balls filled with a chemical used in anti-freeze to destroy fuel for the
fires.  As of yesterday well over 452,000 acres (700+sq. mi) have burned.
    Southern winds have brought the smoke all the way to Miami.  In the past
3 days here in Palm Beach County, the smoke has been an increasing haze all
around, today being the worst yet.  It smells like a raunchy campfire as
soon as you step outside.  I did hear on t.v. news last night that some of
the fire in Volusia county, I believe,  have been contained.  As of
yesterday, Flagler county (occupying about 500 sq mi) was pretty much
evacuated.   No rain in the forecast.
     I'm taking my fiancee to see Stevie Nicks tonight at Coral Sky
Amphitheatre tonight.  Hope the smoke isn't too bad.  It's enough to give
you a headache at times.  A general health alter has been issued to the
elderly especially.  No work today.  2 tunings and picked up a Baldwin 245
action for new hammers yesterday.
    Happy 4th!

Brian Daley
West Palm Beach, FL