In-Piano Records Revisited

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sun, 05 Jul 1998 07:47:29 -0400

At 11:44 AM 7/5/98 -0800, you wrote:
>One reason to put the info there is piano owners seem to enjoy having
>the history there.  Donnie

All my customers who happened to see this handwriting on their pianos
were appalled to think that someone had the audacity to take this liberty.

This is what paper is made for.

Twenty years later, it doesn't matter if it had a stable tuning sequence.
What matters is now, present conditions. The piano may be in a different
environment. Different circumstances.  Looser pins, whatever . . .

Maybe your mechanic should scribble the last oil change and tune up on your
dashboard to remind you of the next tuning.

Scribing the insides of a piano should be limited to autographing a hammer/s/f
installation; pin block; sound board; etc. Mundane servicing does not merit
this signature.

Even placing reference marks on keys or hammers with chalk should be wiped off
once the item has been attended to.  I find, for grands, that marking on
the key
stop rail with chalk is more easily removed than marks on the keys. A
moistened
towel (paper) does the trick on the stubborn ones.

This is one of my pet peeves. There was a discussion on this a year or two
ago.

Don't get me going,

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)