cutting damper felt

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 15:06:05 -0400 (EDT)

>List
>
>Does some have a good method for cutting damper felt that yields clean, square
>corners; not only on the strips, but on flat stock that come in sheets from
>Renner etc.
>
>Paul Chick RPT
>Plainview MN

Paul,

For the strips I broke down and bought one of those guillotine affairs from
the suppliers.  It makes a real clean cut every time.  A former teacher of
mine used a regular felt knife.  While positioning the knife on the felt,
he would smack the top of the knife with a wood hammer.  He got good
results but it kind of gave me the willies.

As for felt sheets, I have tried a bizillion things and the only thing that
works for me is using my 24" metal square as a straight edge, clamping it
down or hold real tight, and cut with a new razor blade.  You have to hold
down pretty tight though or the felt will try to bunch up.

That's what works for me, hope it helps.

chris

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (614) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429