Kimble grand/Schwander action

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 08:21:49 +0000

John,

It sounds like the backchecks are dragging on the hammer tails.
First check that the action is somewhere in the ballpark...Blow
distance about 1 & 3\4", keydip 3/8" or slightly more.  There is
let-off and drop.  With action on the bench put one hand on the
hammer and the other on the key and rock the key/hammer.  You
will fill the dragging if the hammer is contacting the
backcheck.  This simulates fortisimo playing.  Use this to
adjust your backchecks.  You can check if your backchecks are at
the right angle by putting hammer in check and pushing down on
the hammer into the backcheck.  It should get wedged or get
tighter.  I agree with Keith about lowering the hammers...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA