Lowell Downbearing gage tape

Alexander Galembo galembo@psyc.queensu.ca
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 08:53:13 -0400

Hi,

Is it possible to get a printed description and a picture of the Tom
Lowell's downbearing gage? And is it possible to contact Tom Lowell? via
e-mail?

Alex

>Those interested in the Lowell Downbearing gage,
>The Randy Potter School has an 80 minute tape of Tom Lowell demonstrating
>the gage. The tape was made in 1987.  I got mine from Pianotek but you
>could probably find other sources.  Between the tape and the instruction
>sheets (especially the instruction sheets) & some careful study it will
>make sense to you.  Tom Lowell presents a good example of why the Lowell
>gage is more reliable than the metal 3 footed gages.  The three footed
>gages can be fooled - along with the technician.
>
>I much prefer the Lowell gage.  Even for the bucks.  I don't think it can
>be used on the speaking side of the bridge in the very high treble, but in
>other areas I don't think it can be beat for reliability and accuracy.
>
>When using the Lowell gage be sure you don't change ends when moving from
>the speaking side of the bridge to the hitch pin side. Keep it aligned in
>the same direction on both sides of the bridge.
>
>Good luck all. Rolland Miller.

Alexander Galembo, Ph. D.
Acoustics lab, Dept. of Psychology, Queen's University
Kingston ON  K7L3N6
Canada

Tel. (613) 5456000, ext. 5754
Fax (613) 5452499
E-mail: galembo@pavlov.psyc.queensu.ca
URL   :  http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/8779/

=====

"There are two kinds of pianists in our world:
Those who are great pianists and play music,
and those who are good musicians and play
the piano"

"The difference between theory and practice is that,
in theory, there's no difference between theory and practice,
but, in practice, there is."