Sticky keys

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 18:12:46 -0700

Philip wrote:

> Hi,
>         I have been annoyed by sticky keys which cleared temporarily and then
> come back again when it was most needed at the time.
>
>         I have removed the action before and intend to remove it to determine
> the cause.  A friend told me to press the end of the key nearer to the capstan
> screw and the key should fall back by itself when released.  Is this the best
> test?  Your advise would be appreciated.

Philip,

What you would be doing by pressing and releasing the keys, with the
action removed, is to determine whether the problem is in the keys or in
the action. If you determine that some of the keys do not move freely,
then what remains is to check front and balance rail bushings and
balance pin holes for tightness. If all the keys are free, then you need
to check for tight center pins in the action. You didn't say whether
this is a grand or an upright but if it were an upright, for example, I
would put the action on a table and tilt it forward, noticing if the
hammers will still return when pushed forward and released.
Experimenting with different angles of tilt should reveal which action
centers are tighter than others. Rotating the action to a different
position, one which makes it difficult for the wippens to return to
their normal position, you can discover which of the wippen centers are
too tight. A similar philosophy can be applied to grand actions.

The next job is to treat the bushings or action centers, either
mechanically or chemically, as appropriate, to free up this tightness.

Post the list again if you need further assistance.

Tom
--
Thomas A. Cole RPT
Santa Cruz, CA