Computer poll

Marvin McDonald pianomarv@earthlink.net
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 06:02:44 -0700

Jeannie Grassi wrote:

> 1.      What type of computer do you have (Mac or IBM clone) and what additional
> hardware or peripherals do you use with it?

I have a PowerMAC, Umax Scanner, 2.5gig Hardrive(outboard), HP Laser Printer
5MP and
a HP Inkjet color printer.  I use a 28,800 Supra or US Robotics
Modem(Sportster) for
telecommunications.  Plan to upgrade to 56k real soon even though our phone lines
won't carry that speed.

> 2.      How long have you been making use of your computer for business purposes?

20 years

> 3.      When was the last time you upgraded your system?

Last Year

> 4.      If you use a word processing program, which one is it and what sort of
> things do you use it for?

I use Microsoft Word 6.0 and will be upgrading my Microsoft Office soon to the
lastest version.  I use Word for all written correspondence and have several
templates set up with logos and headings for Allegro and M&M Piano Service

> 5.      Do you use your computer for bookkeeping? If so, what program do you use?

Yes.  I use Quicken '98.

> 6.      How do you keep track of customer records?

I use Filemaker PRO.

> 7.      Do you send reminders through your computer and, if so, how are these
> lists generated?

I use to. That is all done for me at Allegro.  I used a template I developed in
Filemaker PRO produce a list and my wife and I would use that list to call my
clients and make appointments.

> 8.      In addition to your computer files, do you also use index cards a/o paper
> records to carry with you into the customer’s home?

Yes. Index Cards.  A format that I originally purchased from Schaff Piano Supply.
The author of that format quit making the cards and sent me the templates so
that I
could make my own.

> 9.      Do you use your computer for billing customers?  Do you print invoices?
> If so which program do you use for these activities?

I use to and on occasion I still do.  I use Microsoft EXCEL to generate Invoices.

> 10.     Do you do such things estimates and  appraisals, etc. from your
> computer?  What program(s) do you use for such reports?

Yes.  Microsoft Word and Excel.

> 11.     Do you publish a newsletter from your computer and what method do you
> use?

Yes. I use Pagemaker and Microsoft Word.

> 12.     Do you use a spread sheet for any of the above tasks?

I use a spreadsheet for invoicing.

> 13.     Do you use a program for scheduling appointments a/o a Personal
> Information Manager?

NO.

> 14.     Do you track shop work and tasks on your computer?

NO. But a good idea.

> 15.     Can you think of any other valuable ways your computer has helped you in
> your piano service business?

Making quick flyers. Addressing envelopes.  I haven't used it for any piano formulas
yet but plan to in the not to distant future.