HTs using cents offset from ET

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 12:13:57 -0500

I think it is safe to assume in calculating beats and cents on paper go to
from the fundamental, computed from 12th root of 2. at zero inharmonicity.
YOu gotta start somewhere.  Because inspite of differeing inharmonicietes,
they must be off by the same.  I  have never heard anyone mention the beat
rates of the thirds in this piano are off because the 5th partials are
sharper than usual, but the fourth partials are more in line.  Probably
inharmonicity doesn't work like this, which is why you can compute
inharmonicity for the whole piano from the FAC method.  That measures the
4th partial doesn't it?  So does that assume that the 5th partial and the
3rd partials will possess the same degree of inharmonicity?  Interesting
the 4th partial is used in all the intervals, even the fifth as the second
partial has to determine the fourth, or be very closely related. Something
to think about while mowing the grass.

----------
> From: Robert Scott <rscott@wwnet.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: HTs using cents offset from ET
> Date: Tuesday, July 14, 1998 3:57 PM

.  I would be glad to develop such a
> computer program if sufficient data were generated on which to use it.
>
> Any takers?
>
> Robert Scott
> Ann Arbor, Michigan

I would be glad to put it into a spread sheet.

Richard Moody