Sticking Steinway dampers

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 10:20:59 EDT

In a message dated 98-07-17 09:44:47 EDT, Mike Musial writes:

<< I am experiencing a recurring problem when I tune newer Steinway grands.
 Sometimes when I apply a test blow while tuning, the damper (usually
 tenor/treble) will "hang" and not return to the string unless I tap it back
 down with my finger.  >>

Mike,
It may also be that the sostenuto needs adjusting. Check the Steinway service
manual for instructions. You can tell if this is the problem if when you push
it lightly back down, it "snaps" ever so slightly. On a hard blow the
sostenuto tab on the damper top flange shoots on by the sostenuto knife.

In the meantime, activate the sostenuto at a section end, look in with a
flashlight, and see if the knife is catching enough of the tab (should be
between 1/32" and 1/16". Or, activate the sostenuto, play a key softly, and
lift up on the damper head to see if you can feel it catch. Or you can simply
adjust the knife away from you the tiniest amount and see if that solves the
problem. Or, pull the cheekblocks out and push the action in a fraction to
temporarily mimic moving the knife.

You can test the damper for friction just by feel. With the action out, just
lift and release the underlever slowly with one finger. Also, the wire should
press ever so lightly on the bushing on the side closest to the unison being
damped. Push it gently away and let go. You can develop a feel for how much is
too much.

Double check the height of the damper upstop rail. With the pedal on and a
sharp depressed, there should be no or almost no additional upward play in the
damper head.

Regards,
Bob Davis