How is this done?

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 18:28:39 -0700

Clyde Hollinger wrote:

> Friends:
>
> I'd like the answer to this question before I get myself in trouble.  A
> few old uprights have a sharp pin in the bottom of each sticker that
> fits into a hole on top of each key.  There is no sticker tongue or
> sticker tongue flange.
>
> Getting the action out of the piano looks easy enough.  Getting it back
> in might be a different story.  Do I need to remove all the keys and
> slip them back in place one at a time?  Can someone who is familiar with
> this setup tell me a faster way?  Thanks!
>
> Clyde Hollinger, RPT
> Lititz, PA

Clyde,

In my vast experience with this old system (I think I've seen two), I've
never had to remove the keys. You should be able to remove and replace
the action normally, with the additional task of "sticking" each sticker
back in the hole of each key. Maybe this is why they called them
stickers?

I use needle-nose pliers to reinsert each sticker. It takes about 2
minutes for all of them.
--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT
Santa Cruz, CA