Sticking Steinway dampers

Douglas Hershberger dbhersh@home.com
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 09:59:08 -0700

David,
   There is another test that might explain the problem you've
described. Depress the sostenuto, then randomly hit forte blows within
the damper area and if any dampers hold up it is because the knife is to
far away but not so far that the sostenuto won't work, although not at
its best. I always check this as well as the test you mentioned earlier.
Doug Hershberger,RPT