appraisal help

J Patrick Draine draine@tiac.net
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 17:37:06 -0500

Dear list:
	I'm preparing an appraisal for a customer, and thought I'd get your
help.
It is a Baldwin R (5'8") grand, made in 1951; mahogany veneer, finish in
good condition. The hammers have a moderate amount of wear (i.e. they do
need to be filed but there'll be sufficient felt remaining for another
"half life"). The action has never be touched and it is in bad need of
regulation. The owner is a singer, so she's used it over the last 30-odd
years mainly for self-accompaniment.

The pinblock torque is low, but in our current extremely high humidity and
temperatures, quite tunable. Some of the pins have been tapped; a handful
have coils touching the plate.
The soundboard has no measureable crown. Plucking notes to observe sustain:
duration is OK but tone seems really dull. But when banging out some chords
the piano sounds pretty good (making allowances for the crummy regulation
and grooved hammers).
So my customer wants to know: a) what's the minimum work that can be done
to make the instrument enjoyable/ and/or saleable; b) "fair market value"
(i.e. to sell to another private party); c) "trade in value" (she's moving
to a smaller condo and wants a good studio upright).
I estimate a "triage regulation" at $500. What are your best guesses at "b'
and "c"?
We're located in the suburbs of Boston, MA.
Thanks for your input,
Patrick