Measurement

John Woodrow John.Woodrow@aus.dupont.com
Tue, 21 Jul 1998 09:16:02 +1000

Take a tuning pin or some other measurable item. Have 5 people measure it
five times, with the *same* tools (a digital readout vernier calipers for
example). I think you will be amazed at the difference from one set of
measurements to the next.
<<

List,
Coming from a engineering background, just wanted to point out something
that may be of minute value to somebody.

Speaking pre digital readouts, a vernier caliper is/was not a highly
accurate tool for precision measurement.  As a tool it is fast and
convenient, but lacks precision.   For consistency and precision, a
micrometer is the correct tool for accurately measuring to thousands of an
inch.

I am sure somebody will correct me if the world of didital readouts has
changed all this.

Regards,
John

Email:		Woodroj@syvax.email.dupont.com